March 26, 2010 § Leave a comment
I love to grocery shop! I know..its weird. But so am I, so its fitting. I think part of it is because I love to cook so its fun to go and see what there is and what I can make. For example, I saw some buckwheat sweet potato noodles the other day. Hello!?! Healthy ingredients that sound fantastic. Perfect! I just need to figure out what to pair with it. Anyway, I got to go to Whole Foods on Sunday, and just being there inspires me to be a healthier person. Its a good thing I don’t live there because I’d probably just wander up and down the aisles, avoiding homework, and eating at the little food stations on a regular basis. Seriously. It would be bad! But, I got to stock up on good, healthy food like Tofu Shirataki noodles, Tempeh, Amy’s Organic meals, sweet potato gnocci, Ciao Bella Sorbet….seriously, I loaded up an ice chest and come back with bags of stuff. Oh, and I bought new Tom’s shoes so some child in Africa will be thrilled that I went to Whole Foods too. Its probably sad that one of my favorite store’s is a grocery store, but, yeah, it is. Judge away.
Anyway, I had been trying to go low carb-ish for awhile (but with only lean meats…its the South Beach version of the low-carb phase), and I don’t know why I try. Every time I try this, Friday rolls around and all I want to do is eat tortilla chips and frosted flakes (and by frosted flakes, I mean the whole box…dry…by the handful), and then wash it down with alcoholic beverages. Telling myself I can’t have something is the worst thing I can do for myself. But, when I just try to make healthy choices, I tend to eat bad things in moderation, and snack on fruits and veggies just because I enjoy them. So, really, I don’t know why I try. I feel AMAZING, when I stock my fridge with whole foods! Fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes, lean protein. And I love whipping up healthy dishes!!
So after that whole schpeal (sp??), I’ll let you know that I’m 2 day from being done with month 1 of P90X. Woo-hoo. I definately feel like my arms are quite a bit more toned, so that’s excting. And, I made a great Quick Bean Chili the other day (becuase, oddly, its still what I would consider “chili-weather” up here) and I thought I’d share it with you! Try it out. The textured vegetable protein can be found in health food stores, or the bulk section of HEB and the only black soy beans I found were with all of the organic Amy’s beans. Enjoy!
Quick Bean Chili
- 1 tbls EVOO
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, any color, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black soybeans
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 canned chipotle chili in adobo, minced, plus 2 tablespoons sauce from can
- 1/2 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add scallions, bell pepper, and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, and their liquid, tomatoes, chile, adobo sauce, and TVP.
- Bring to a low boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cood 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cheese.